Articles by Year

<<     >>

Articles by Category

UK +44 (0)1479 420 020

The B Word

By Russell Murray, Business Development Manager
More by Russell

Business as usual

The UK left the European Union on January 31st, 2020. There is a sense that it should be more than it is, but the truth is that life will continue as normal for the foreseeable future.

So, what is normal?

European Visitors

During 2020 nothing will change for travel between the UK and Europe for EU, EAA and Swiss citizens. For short visits to the UK, your clients will not require a visa. They will need a valid passport to enter the UK, and if they have less than six months remaining on their passports we recommend that they check with the border authorities before travel. Travel on identity cards where relevant may be restricted after 2020.

US Visitors

For US visitors to Scotland and the UK, there has been no change and there will be no change to the current close ties of no visa for US and UK citizens crossing the Atlantic for stays of less than 90 days. All your clients need to do is turn up at the airport with their passport (with at least six months validity remaining) and board the plane as normal. There is absolutely no talk of disruption to flights to the UK and the EU has specifically agreed that there would be no change to any flight rules until 2021 at the earliest.

Of course, Wilderness Scotland, as a major tour operator, remains a bonded member of ABTA and AITO which means your money is safe no matter what happens.


Brexit FAQs

Flights, Trains & Coaches Read More

All forms of international transport to the UK will continue to operate as normal until the end of 2020.

Will my clients be able to drive their car to the UK from Europe? Read More

The same rules apply for the foreseeable future as before the 31st  of January 2020. If they are a European citizen and have driven from Europe to the UK, their EU driving license will still be valid for all vehicles permitted on their normal license.

If they are driving from outside the EU, a valid license from their own country will be accepted for small vehicles like cars or motorcycles.

Please note that they will need to have at least third party insurance to drive in the UK and that they are required to bring their vehicle registration and ownership documents.

Insurance & EHIC Read More

As always it is important that your clients have adequate travel insurance which covers their specific needs, including any known medical conditions or activities that they are planning to do.

If they are a European citizen they can still use their EHIC card in the UK until at least the 31st of December 2020. Please note, that this is not an alternative for comprehensive travel insurance.

More Information

For more information on travelling after Brexit please check out the following page on


Meet the Author: Russell Murray

“Born and raised in the Scottish Highlands I have always been passionate about all things outdoors actively pursuing white water kayaking, skiing and mountain biking in my spare time.”

View profileMore by Russell

News & Offers

Be the first to hear about the latest trends, products and experiences from across the UK & Ireland with our monthly newsletter.