Having grown up travelling across the world I’ve developed an addiction to all things spice and to travel! When it was time to go to university I wandered off to Scotland for a new adventure and now 10+ years later I’ve not managed to leave yet. Scotland’s welcoming culture, beautiful scenery and a Scottish man captured my heart. Moving to Scotland has made me develop a passion for the outdoors and I love heading out for an explore, even if it’s just a lunchtime walk in the woods.
I’m one of the lucky few that has managed to make their passion a career. From doing my masters dissertation in peripheral and outdoor tourism with a focus on the Scottish Small Isles to working at Visit Scotland, and now at Wilderness Scotland as Content Manager and also as a Non-executive Director at Wild Scotland, I’m proud to be promoting Scotland as an adventure tourism destination and contributing to making outdoor tourism in Scotland both responsible and sustainable.
Place to Play
Scotland as a whole. I don’t think I can limit myself to one particular area as Scotland has such a magnificent and varied landscape with so many different things to do in every season. However, if I have to pick favourites.
- Lochnagar & Loch Muick, Cairngorms National Park – This was my first Munro and lengthy hike in Scotland. Classic Cairngorm scenery, both beautiful and dramatic.
- Glencoe, West Highlands – To a Dutchie used to endless flat fields, driving through Glencoe the first time in 2010 was a mindboggling experience.
- Luskentyre & Seilebost, Isle of Harris – Genuinely one of the most beautiful places on earth, the white sand beaches, azure waters and mountain scenes are simply fantastic.
- Loch Maree, North West Scotland – I’m a bit biased as I got proposed to on a long walk here, but the islands on Loch Maree are the epitome of fairy tale adventure spots.
- Rothiemurchus Estate – My all-time favourite local destination for a walk, where I’m always grateful for the beautiful area where I live.
- The Isle of Eigg, the Scottish Small Isles – The subject of my dissertation and ultimate getaway destination featuring beautiful beaches, forest, mountain(s) and coastal cliffs.
Not a lot of people know this
I featured in a Sri Lankan TV commercial for internet as a Dutch farm girl when I was seven; clogs, pigtails and all.
Everybody knows this
I’m quite passionate about cheese.