Shimmering sheltered bays, dreamy white sandy beaches and never-ending coastlines.
Sea Kayaking in Scotland must be some of the best in the world! But only if you’re warm and comfortable. For that reason we’re sharing our complete guide to What to Wear Sea Kayaking in Scotland.
We have been running guided sea kayaking adventures in Scotland for over 15 years. It really is a magical way to explore the islands and coastline, soaking up all the differing landscapes and wildlife. However, the weather plays a part! It can be hard to enjoy anything when you re cold and wet. So we’d like to share our complete guide to what to wear sea kayaking in Scotland. This list will ensure you’re kept warm, dry and happy while out on the water for the day. If you’re coming on a trip with us we will provide some of this gear as standard. This will be made clear below.
Video: we produced a short summary video kindly presented by Tom from our office Operations team. Thanks Tom!
- Moisture wicking base layer – synthetic or Merino wool. We love these Merino and synthetic blend tops from Haglofs for Men and this Icebreaker version for Women.
- Heavier weight fleece/jumper such as these for Women and Men which are lightweight but warm and breathable.
- Jacket for sea kayaking. This is provided to all our guests on our kayaking trips. But if you are in the market for one we can highly recommend these from Peak UK for Men and Women. They are tough and waterproof yet well-articulated to allow easy movement.
- Lightweight trousers. We love these lightweight hiking trousers from Haglofs which are tough but comfortable, breathable and quick-drying. For Men and Women.
- Shorts. Such as these simple lightweight shorts from Rab for Men and Women.
- Swimming costume/trunks. We recommend these spindly string bikinis from… just kidding!
- Waterproof trousers such as these lightweight options for Women and Men.
- Wetsuit socks such as these neoprene ones for Men and Women. Another option is to wear waterproof socks or warm wool socks inside a pair of trainers or wellies.
- Neoprene shoes such as these for Men and Women, trainers or wellies that are comfortable for you.
Read on: for our in-depth guide to Sea Kayaking footwear.
Head and hands
- Warm wool hat and sunhat/baseball cap. We love these unisex wool beanies for warmth and cosiness.
- Buff/neck gaiter such as these from Endura sports.
- Gloves (we do provide Pogies which are neoprene mitts that go over both your hands and the paddle shaft). Buy your own Pogies here.
Essential equipment to take with you out on the water
- Water bottle. (Ideally 2 litres capacity in total)
- Full change of clothes in the event of a capsize.
- Sunglasses with buoyant strap.
- Sunscreen and lip balm.