Best Cycle Routes in Scotland – Mull
Posted on Jan 09, 2017 by Tim Francis
Cycling on Mull is a feast for the senses. Winding coastal roads sweep along under the auspicious eye of the peaks above.
One of the largest Inner Hebridean islands, Mull offers some of the wildest coastal scenery in the UK. This Mull cycling route takes us from the South Western tip along its edge and up north through the island via Salen to Dervaig.
Route: Fionnphort to Dervaig (via Salen), Isle of Mull
Cycle Route Stats
- Distance: 38.5 miles (80.6 km)
- Total Ascent: 1962 ft (696m)
- Duration: Approx 5 hours
- Minimum Elevation: 2 m
- Maximum Elevation: 145 m
Cycling Mull route notes
After a brief storming of Iona and with lunch in the belly, our cycle followed the undulating A849 along the shores of Loch Scridain on the South West of Mull. The weather provided a backdrop to dream of. Ancient volcanic heights reflecting beautifully in the mirrored surface of the loch. But it wasn’t this or even the tea and scones of The Smithy House that made this a ride to remember.
It was the treat in store after turning left on to the B8035. The sign heralding the Scenic Route to Salen is a clue here. After a steady 5 km climb (and I like climbs) the route transports you to a different country altogether.
“The rapid descent hugs the coast. Basalt towers and vibrant green pastures contrast with clear blues of the lochs”
Immediately I had been transported to Iceland and yet here I was in Scotland. Stunned, I wondered why the other cyclists had stopped their journey at the bottom of the descent. Until then I too joined the onlookers. We stood watching a group of Sea Eagles float effortlessly on the thermals. And the road just kept on going, inviting you to just pedal. And just to top it off, I decided to cycle the extra 15 miles on to the hotel for the night. OK so I had noticed a nice looking Strava segment to Salen. By then my legs were starting to ache when a wildcat crossed the road just in front of me, pouncing towards the forest behind. The aches just dropped away.
This route was part of the Wilderness Scotland Road Cycling; Skye and The Inner Hebrides trip.
Want to experience a road cycling adventure in the Scottish outdoors guided by seasoned experts? Check out some of our other exciting road cycling trips below:
- Cycle nine stunning islands on our tour of the Outer Hebrides
- Ride across Arran, Islay and Jura on our Island Explorer cycling tour
- Explore England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland and Scotland on our Five Countries cycling tour
- Cycle across the Scottish Highland from east to west coast
- Island hop Mull, Iona and Skye on our easy graded cycle tour
- Challenge yourself on our red graded (8 out of 10) Mountain Passes tour exploring Skye and the Outer Hebrides
Thirsty for more road cycling content? Then you are in luck! We have a ton of information to lose yourself in:
- Check out our piece on the 5 Countries Road Cycling Tour and watch the incredible video celebrating the 200th birthday of the bicycle.
- Wilderness Scotland’s Bike Operations Manager and cycle enthusiast Craig gives an overview of his absolute favourite road cycling routes in the Highlands of Scotland.
- Tim Francis tell us about some more of his favourite routes to cycle in his Top 5 Best Routes to Cycle article.
More from Road Cycling
Posted on Jul 30, 2018 by Neil Irvine
Posted on Sep 08, 2017 by Russell Murray
Posted on Jun 21, 2017 by Neil Irvine
Posted on Jun 07, 2017 by Tim Willis