Where it all began…
Back in 2001 our first clients touched down on the Knoydart Peninsula.
Awaiting their arrival there was an air of total excitement, tempered by a measure of disbelief that our first clients had trusted us with their holiday! What would the group make of the walks we had planned, would our lodge reservation confirmed by our temperamental dial-up (ah yes, we remember it fondly) come good and, most importantly of all, would everyone actually enjoy all that wilderness?
We learnt many lessons on that first trip, which was driven by an overwhelming enthusiasm and passion for sharing one of Scotland’s finest undiscovered regions. The most important lesson of all was that each and every trip – no matter how polished the arrangements – should carry the same unwavering commitment to delivering a truly amazing and memorable experience of Scotland’s wild places.
Over the past decade many things have changed but this commitment remains a constant. In many ways it is greater now than it was then, motivated daily by compelling stories of how our clients have had fantastic and, at times, transformative travel experiences.
We feel very fortunate to live and work in an amazing part of the world. We look forward with the same excitement as we did on that very first Wilderness Walking trip in Knoydart, to welcoming you here and sharing our passion, knowledge and experience of one of the last great wild areas of Europe.
The Trophy Cabinet
When our business began we didn’t really give much thought to scooping gongs and attending award dinners. For sure they are fun, but the real enjoyment comes in finding out that people like what we do and, in a world busier than ever, appreciate the value of doing things a bit differently and striving for the very best customer service possible.
Over the past decade our dedicated office and guiding team have been fortunate to scoop over 20 major industry awards. Here is our Top Ten which made us proud then and still do now:
- Listed 16th worldwide (1st in Europe) in National Geographic Adventure Magazine’s list of the ‘Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth’
- Winning the World’s Leading Green Tour Operator in the World Travel Awards in both 2007 and 2014
- Awarded 5 Stars by VisitScotland – still the only adventure tour company in Scotland to hold the highest award
- Receiving a Green Tourism Gold Award by the GTBS – the world’s most credible Sustainable Tourism Programme
- Achieving recognition twice in the World Responsible Tourism Awards
- Becoming the first Scottish company to gain AITO’s 5-star award for Responsible Tourism
- Named in the Guardian Ethical Travel Awards: Best UK Tour Operator
- Winning the Scottish Tourism Business of the Year after 3 years of operation
- As newcomers to the industry, being named by Shell as the Best Business Demonstrating Sustainability
- Having our Outer Hebrides & Skye Walking trip and Scottish Sea Kayak Trail feature in National Geographic Traveller Magazine’s 50 Tours of a Lifetime.
Of course, what matters most is what our clients think of the experiences we provide. Here you can read their unedited reviews in full and decide if a Wilderness Scotland trip is for you.